Jamaica Mission Trip

During Spreak Break of 2008, I had the opportunity to go on a nine day medical mission trip to Jamaica. We set up free medical clinics in the two rural, underprivileged towns of Duncans and Clarks Town. We worked under Dr. Richard Savoy, OD of Memphis, TN.

On this trip, I was part of a 9 person Optometry Team, so I was able to obtain a tremendous amount of hands-on experience with working with patients. Prior to the trip, we were taught basic techniques and methods used in standart eye examinations. We tested patients for near and far distance vision using a Snellan eye chart, and we measured astigmatism and prescription prediction using an auto-refractor.

I learned so much about optometry from the first-hand experience I received from this mission. Looking back on it, I enjoyed every aspect of the eye examination process, even the 12 hour workdays we had.


Photobucket This picture shows me administering a near vision acuity test to a Jamaican lady.




Photobucket The image above shows some of our hosts at the Nutshell Conference Center in Duncans, Jamaica. This picture was taken after we examined their eyes and vision.