Shadowing Experience with Dr. Hildebrand

I had that fantastic opportunity to observe Dr. Allyn Hildebrand at the East Tennessee Regional Eye Center perform the type of job that I strongly desire to hold one day. Since this was my first experience with shadowing an optometrist in office, I was unsure about what to expect. The first day, I was very intrigued with trying to understand how all of the equipment worked and the rationale for certain procedures. Dr. Hildebrand was exceptionally helpful by explaining what he was doing and why, and he answered any question I had during the time not spent with patients.

The first day I saw at least five routine eye exams being completed, which is an area that I was already roughly familiar with in optometry. However, there were also very interesting cases that came in for treatment. Dr. Hildebrand allowed me to observe the retinas of several patients and showed me topographical maps of several abnormally shaped eyes.

I also experienced other sides of optometry, such as LASIK consulations, since Dr. Hildebrand specializes in pre- and post- LASIK surgery treatment. I was able to talk with him and gather useful information on his experiences and opinions concerning the field of optometry. I was also able to interact with an extern from Southern College of Optometry, who gave me insight into his experiences during optometry school. Through this, I feel considerably more prepared for the rigourous curriculum of my future education.