University of Tennessee RecSports - Student Aquatic Center - Lifeguard

I maintained a very rewarding job as a lifeguard at the Student Aquatic Center, which allowed me to expand on the initial knowledge that I obtained at my previous facility. With the large numbers of patrons and user groups who use this pool, it required me to always be flexible with changes in the plan. This job also helped me to improve my capability to communicate and establish authority among my peers, which is an area I recognized that I needed improvement.

In the spring of 2010, I made the decision to enroll in the Lifeguard Instructor class because I knew that this would help me adapt to an authoritative role and that it would be a difficult goal for me to achieve. Since then, I have noticed how I have improved in communication with others, taking on an authoritative role, and of course with lifeguarding skills.

At my lifeguarding job, I performed primary duties such as executing patron surveillance, enforcing rules, and administering first-aid, CPR/ AED (if necessary.) I also performed secondary duties such as ensuring area maintenance, completing reports, and delegating responsibilities among co-workers. This job has definitely helped me to develop leadership and dedication.

The picture below shows me during a morning shift at work
Photobucket