Healthy Eating and Activity Lab

During my sophomore year, I had no experience with research, nor did I really know how to get involved with it. In December of 2008, I saw a flier to be a lab assistant in Dr. Hollie Raynor's research lab. I applied for it, and was able to join the lab. However, this was different than the type of research I had always pictured. I was stationed in a professional office and was responsible for mainly data entry and related activities.

During my second semester in the lab, I was able to pair with a graduate student in nutrition to assist with her thesis research project. Through this, I was able to become familiar with the process of on-site data collection.

I was a member of this behavioral research lab for one year. I was able to gain first-hand experience with designing a research project and carrying out the rigorous process of accurate data collection and organization. This activity allowed me to gain other skills also, such as participant interaction, effective communication, and data-entry skills.