Physical Education 256: Lifeguard Training Teaching Assistant

I was given the opportunity this fall semester ('10) to utilize my Lifeguarding Instructor certification by assisting the Aquatics Director of the University of Tennessee RecSports Department with teaching fellow students lifeguarding skills. Students are taught Lifeguarding, CPR and AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, Administering Emergency Oxygen, and Bloodborne Pathogens Training. I feel that this position allows me to benefit society by training students to react effectively and efficiently in emergency situations.

As a teaching assistant for this, I am responsible for conducting one-on-one class make-up sessions for those students who miss the actual class session. In these, I teach the students skills that were missed or needed more practice. I have had a very positive experience with this so far, as it has allowed me to become more effective at communication skills and leadership skills alike.